The time is coming to give thanks. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I’m a holiday-lover, so there’s a lot of competition, but Thanksgiving always ranks near the top for me.
Let me give you a bullet-point list what I’m thankful for. In no way is this complete. I’m offering simply to prompt you all to do the same.
- the freedom to change the station when the Kars for kids ad comes on
- the slick look of pavement when it rains
- Christmas season in New York City (I know this is a cliche, but I love it so)
- the sausage grave my wife makes every Christmas morning
- my wife, Sue (ok, another cliche, but if you knew her and all the she puts up with…)
- of course, our 3 kids, now 29, 26, 23
- our new dog, Max, 3 months old, 80 pounds, a rescue mutt from Alabama; he is systematically destroying our house but we love him to pieces anyway
- Mozart’s Jupiter symphony
- Tom Friedman and David Brooks columns in the NY Times (ok, so I am a liberal, I hope that’s all right)
- That I am turning 69 and coming out with a new book with John Ratey in 2019
- hot dogs with lots of mustard
- and sauerkraut
- taramasalata (it’s a Greek spread…. to die for)
- the salt air when you cross over onto Cape Cod
- button-down collar shirts (I’m a preppy)
- lying in bed, watching TV with Sue late at night
- the fact that I can still play squash a little bit
- all of you who read this newsletter!
…. what are your favorite things?