Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Adults and Children
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a form of treatment that focuses on symptom resolution using cognitive restructuring to instigate behavioral change. In fact, Cognitive Behavior Therapy is the form of treatment most recommended for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Anxiety Disorders.
By “coaching” patients into reframing thoughts, the therapist helps the patient and redirect their behaviors that impede healthy psychological maturation. Although there is a natural human tendency to attribute problems and feelings to external elements like:
- situations, or
it’s more often our internal thoughts that determine how we feel and behave. So changing the way we think (even if the eternal situations remain the same,) can bring about a major shift in how we feel and behave.
Unlike traditional psychoanalysis, which can be open-ended, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) has a fixed timeline for resolution of a patient’s problem. It is a very collaborative process.
- First, the patient shares his/her problems and goals with the therapist;
- Then based on the information provides, the therapist provides specific insights on how to achieve those goals.
Therapists who employ a CBT approach actively engage their patients to participate in their own recovery process. Consequently, the patient learns how to implement the insights learned within a treatment “action plan.”
Using Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Treat ADHD
At The Hallowell Center NYC, we often incorporate cognitive behavioral therapy techniques to treat ADHD. We help patients reframe the condition as something that can be managed by using certain specific behaviors to compensate.
The CBT approach is also often used to treat other conditions like depression, anxiety, OCD and eating disorders.
To learn more about CBT or to schedule a remote appointment, please fill out the form below. Then someone from our office will follow up with you.
If you’re feeling stressed and anxious, listen to Dr. Hallowell’s podcast on “How to Feel Less Stressed.“
- Teletherapy for Anxiety and Attention Issues
- CoreFour Coaching For Entrepreneurs
- Medication Management
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Parent Training
- Neuropsychological Testing
- Transfer of Care
- Medication Evaluation / Consultation
- Couples Therapy
- Diagnostic Clinical Evaluations
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Adults and Children
- Parent Support for Kids with Special Needs
- Parent Psycho-educational and Support Groups for ADHD
- ADHD Coaching for Adults
- Parent Coaching
- Executive Function and Academic Coaching
- The Mindful Approach to Attention
- Coaching for College Students